I'm so mad for madeleines, especially fresh from the oven, dunked in something, preferably sticky, then dipped in nuts... I made these last week, right before we headed off up the coast for a week of family time on the beach. Half were baked in a cute vintage cast iron pan, the rest in my new favourite pan. The vintage pan, not such a good idea. The little cakes had black rusty butts, we trimmed them and ate them anyway, still delicious.
The shells i dunked in passionfruit curd then lightly pressed into an emerald mound of chopped pistachios. We packed them in tupperware and I nursed them on my knee all the way to our coffee stop at Taree. Emerald incidentally is the birthstone for May, a question we failed to answer at Wednesday night trivia at the Port Macquarie golf club. Our 15 year wedding anniversary, parmies and trivia with 6 kids in Port :)
I'm not done experimenting with madeleines and nuts; maybe some praline or popcorn, definitely more caramel, would peanuts or macadamias with smoked salt caramel be a step too far?
15g melted butter, for greasing the tray
15g four, for flouring the tray
155g caster sugar
155g melted butter, cooled
80g flour, sifted
110g shelled, unsalted pistachios
3 jumbo eggs (approx 200g)
• grease and flour the madeleine tin
• put the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer if you have one, or use a hand held electric mixer, add the sugar and whip until thick and pale
• put the flour and 80g pistachios in a food processor, blitz until the nuts are finely ground, then gently fold into the eggs/sugar
• add the melted butter, mix until combined
• cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for anywhere between 2 hours and overnight
• when you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180ºC
• using a piping bag, pipe the batter into the trays, filling each shell 3/4 full, if you don't have a piping bag just use a couple of spoons
• bake in the centre of your oven for 12-15 mins, the madeleines should be brown and crisp around the edges, and spring back when lightly pressed in the centre
• while the madeleines are baking, roughly chop the remaining 30g pistachios
• tip the little cakes onto a cooling rack, allow to cool for five minutes or so
• dip the base of each cake in passionfruit curd, then press into the chopped nuts, then pop into your mouth!
• uneaten madeleines should be stored in an airtight container, they will keep for a few days, but are best eaten the day they are baked
• click here for the passionfruit curd recipe